Thursday, February 7, 2008

Start

I've been trying to figure out if the things I do shape who I am or if who I am shapes the things I do. Because I haven't been able to find a clear answer, I spend most of my time allowing myself to be distracted.

I read a lot in hopes that others will help me answer the question. I think that F Scott Fitzgerald and Oscar Wilde would be my good friends if we had been living at the same time and in the same place. The three of us would sit at the end of a long dining room table in a dimly lit room discussing why we do the things we do and how no one ever understands why we seem frustrated with the world.

I'd like to think I'd be friends with Jack Kerouac and Earnest Hemingway because they seem like cool guys, but I think they were afraid of roots. Not in the Kunta Kente sense but in the tree sense. Roots are important to me. That's why - even if I did write music that a lot of people liked - labels would still hate me. I wouldn't want to be gone more than a few weeks at a time unless I could take all my friends with me. That would be expensive.

There are a lot of things that it seems I'm good at, and - for the most part - I stick to those. It's a lot easier than trying to play basketball or take girls on dates. I say that while hating people who just take the easy way in life. So, I'm forced to either hate myself or feel uncomfortable everyday. Oooff.

The blog fad comes and goes, but for as long as it's around this time, I'll try to answer some of these questions and analyze my life in front of the world's eyes.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Deep thoughts for a Thursday afternoon! Does it have to be one or the other? I see those two concepts as being circular. I believe that your choices and actions shape who you are. Be beholding we become changed. But as we change, I think our choices and actions change with us as well. These are my thoughts, but I'm sure Oscar Wilde has something more clever to say on the subject ;)

jessica said...

Welcome to the world of a visionary, dreamer and idealist. oof is right!!

Have you maybe thought that the bigger picture is the process?

The refinement. Redemption. Breaking to healing....all wrapped up in "life." I say there may not ever be an answer in our human frailty, but onwards and upwards to the enjoyment of the moment, the struggle, and sitting in the fact that everyone is in the same boat - not a clue what the hell is going on half the time.

Thanks to being LOVED by someone who is larger than our feeble minds- it makes our life worth living.

And i say - question question question and read read read!! I highly recommend the book, Shattered Dreams by Larry Crabb.... and here's to living with reckless abandonement.

"The Lord will fight for you. all you need is to be still"
Exodus 14:14